[lbo-talk] Leszek Kolakowski dies

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:13:55 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:59 PM, c b<cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Carrol
>
> P.S. I'm not going to attempt to argue this, but the notion that
> language has a history prior to and independent of human social
> history is also an idealist fasllacy.
>
> ^^^^
> CB: Definitely. Language and other symbolic thinking is the essence of
> humans' greater sociality than other species. Language _makes_ human
> social history as social as it is.

However, it is probably true that human (or pre-human or proto-human) social history preceded the development of language. That is we may have had more complex social relations than other animals before we developed language. One speculation is that language can *develop* in variety of types of social create, possibly as play among the young, or as jump in complexity of the kind of signals birds and chimps use for differing purposes. But, the speculation goes, such development would only have sufficient advantage to be preserved in a species with complex and social relations that this type of communication makes easier. (I wonder if insect "language" counts as language for these purposes or not. I suspect not but ...) Of course language would then produce a huge leap in social complexity.

-- Please note: Personal messages should be sent to [garlpublic] followed by the [at] sign with isp of [comcast], then [dot] and then an extension of net