[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Jul 21 18:33:28 PDT 2009

shag quoted matt: "I do agree with Chris that other than the things that are different, things are the same. There is an infinite list of generalizations which can be said prefaced with "other than...". Hopefully we don't need this much discussion to work all of them out."

To which she responded, quite cogently I thought, "yeah, i guess my question was: who cares?"

Matt's problem is that he failed to notice he had committed the same kind of error he charges Chris with committing: that is, the differences matt invokes are, like Chris' resemblances, infinite - and there fore trivial until a particular difference is demonstrated to be otherwise. Doug is worse. People interact and create a fresh culture! That trivializes culture; if that is culture, then the concept is useless.

Who cares about such an accumulation of trivialities stretching to infinity? It needs to be shown that the differences being piled up (in a cascade of mere anecdotage as Alan notes) are differences that make a difference.

Carrol