[lbo-talk] Triple Your Lizard

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jul 21 18:51:32 PDT 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2009, at 9:39 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
>> Five hundred languages, each spoken only by one
>> sub-section of the ppulation, simply gives you the equivalent of 500
>> midwestern villages all gathered on the same ground.
>
> No it doesn't. People living next to each other have to interact and
> create fresh cultures.

Sometimes yes, sometimes not, no? Let's go with Chris's example of India: sure some in northern India now eat "dosas" and some Hindi movies too run for 400+ days in Madras, but as Carrol describes it, they are quite a bit insulated from each other as well. And the same seems to hold for the communities in the Queens or here in New Jersey. A good contrast would be the assimilation of Indian culture and language into England (for understandable reasons). Most USers idea of an Indian is the racist depiction in The Simpsons. Anyway, feel free to ignore me... I didn't even quite get the original point, which now is probably far from whatever it is that DDR wrote in his paper.

--ravi