[lbo-talk] Kafka land

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 21:22:53 PDT 2009

I've had several friends serve federal minimum-security time, a routine punishment for certain political offenses like vandalism of federal property. Many such prisons dispense with security measures like fences; a friend sent to one in Pennsylvania joked that she would have preferred a longer sentence, as prisoners serving for two or more years were eligible to be trained as EMTs for service in the surrounding communities. Minimum-security is really based on the assumption that the judicial disincentives for escape will suffice.

One ex-con of this sort opined to me that minimum-security imprisonment is the most psychologically taxing form, as the one preventing the prisoner's escape is the prisoner him- or herself.