[lbo-talk] What is culture?

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 22 11:13:14 PDT 2009

At 09:11 AM 7/22/2009, magcomm wrote:

>left when they
>reached that point in the next showing and those who stayed through till
>the movie's end.
>
>PSYCHO was the movie that changed this practice.

This appeared on some of the posters for the movie:

No one ... BUT NO ONE ... will be admitted to the theatre after the start of each performance of Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho.

Another one said:

It is required that you see Psycho from the very beginning!

You can see that poster, which also has a picture of Hitchcock pointing at his watch, here:

http://cinephile.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/psycho08-1.jpg

>Up intil they closed in the 1990's, a person could still the
>old-style experience
>in the Chinese movie houses in NYC. The films played continuously and you
>could go in at any time. This was true of

You could do that on Market Street in San Francisco until around the same time.

I used to work at a drive-in theater and we would replay the first feature until the point where the last car drove in. The projectionist was an old guy who wanted to get out of there as soon as possible so he wouldn't even look at the screen before he pulled the switch. Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid could have been right at the point of jumping over that cliff and he would turn it off. There was only one exception. If it was porn he might let that run a while.