[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:07:03 PDT 2009

John Gulick wrote:

> Haw, haw. The craveness of the Blue Dogs makes the 109th Congress look like choir boys.

I have neverunderstood this criticism of any sector of the DP or of the DP itself. They work vigorously for policies in which they believe, for whatever reason. Those policies may be and in fact are despicable, but that by no means justifies charges of "craveness." That charage implies they "really," deep in their hearts, are on "our" side but do not have the courage of their convictions, hence making our job not one of building a mass movement but merely of somehow instilling courage in a few cowards, who then would do wonderful things.

Chuck's references to the "rot" in the Bush Administration is another defense of u.s. capitalism. It implies that all is well except for the rotten apples in the barrel and the reluctance of our friend Obama to throw those rotten apples out. But there is no difference of principle between Obama and Bush, only differences of tactics and strategy. And for all the sneering at Bush he seems to have done pretty welll in carrying out goals earlier DP & RP presidents had failed to achieve.

Carrol