[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jul 24 07:31:35 PDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 9:47 AM, Shane Mage wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:52 AM, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2009, at 8:33 AM, Carrol Cox wrote:
>>
>>> You seem to hold the odd idea (as does Doug) that the only grounds
>>> for passion are moral. A Christian hangover I guess. I hate the
>>> DP and
>>> want to destroy it. It is a major source of immense human misery -
>>> but
>>> it is a mere superstition to think that those feelings require a
>>> moralistic basis.
>>
>> So they're just, what, scientific? Why care about the misery of
>> others?

Well, "scienctific" is a process of explanation as well. All Christian hangovers need not be wrong... E.O.Wilson is labouring hard to make this point, these last few years. My question is, has it been scientifically (game theoretically or otherwise) demonstrated that the various moral strictures and prescriptions of religion are maladaptive? We should not stop doing things simply because science is yet to give us an explanation for it, should we? Especially if we have reason to believe that these things (or ways of looking at things) are a historical result and solution.

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski