[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Fri Jul 24 07:48:10 PDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 12:32 AM, Left-Wing Wacko wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Joanna<123hop at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> 2. The police are excusing the arrest on the basis that the guy
>> shouted at
>> the police officer. That one really made me laugh. My (white) ex-
>> husband
> had
>> a visceral hatred of the police. On the few occasions that he got
>> pulled
>> over, he would get out of the car and start shouting hysterically
>> at the
>> cops about how they should get another job, how fucked up they
>> were, how
>> they were pieces of shit, etc. Thnk he ever got arrested? Oh, no.
>
> Joanna,I think your ex-husband was very lucky if he behaved that way
> towards
> the police.

It's all still anecdotal but I have known white friends and fellow students get away with all sorts of shit that I wouldn't even try with a cop. There was one guy who would, upon seeing a gaggle of cops, walk up and enquire where the nearest Dunkin Donuts was. Another used to give a Kumar (of Harold and Kumar) like lecture about why the man confronting him ended up in his current station. I got the feeling (based on other incidences and the gifts offered to me by cops in return for any question I raised) that I would suffer a similar fate as Kumar if I were to imitate such behaviour.

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski