[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Fri Jul 24 08:29:16 PDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Michael Smith wrote:

> Because you can't help it? Because you're built that way?

Those are the two classic non-explanations: it just is. If they applied to all humans, then maybe you'd be talking biology. But since many people can't help being the opposite, taking this position would amount to a flat refusal to reason about it.

> Because you identify with them? Because you think the people causing their
> misery are also the people causing yours, or likely to cause yours?

Aka the natural sentiments theory of morality (based on sympathy) and the utilitarian theory of morality (based on self interest), respectively.

> When it comes to motivation for hating Democrats, we have an embarras de
> richesse.

But a poverty of theory -- unless you acknowledge the moral arguments you put forth as moral.

Or, as some people might put it, une misere de la philosophie.

Michael