[lbo-talk] right-wing bonkerism

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:41:37 PDT 2009

M Pollak:

>To be fair, some of this absurd triumphalism is simply a reflection of how
difficult
>it is to get anything rational through the Senate, an
institution literally designed
>to prevent change.

J Gulick: Well, since you call it "absurd triumphalism," I can rest easy that you're on the same team here.

Your are correct that is very challenging to axe a weapons program when contractors are scattered about tens or hundreds of Congressional districts.

But for quite some time Gates and many (if not all) Pentagon people have been plumping for the elimination of the F-22 because its capabilities are not consistent with US war-fighting strategy in Central Asia and elsewhere. In this sense the potential cancellation of the F-22 is a triumph of "rational imperialism" (and rational imperialist budgeting and procurement) over federalist log-rolling.

A notable development, yes, but not in the sense the Obama aye-sayers make it out to be. What the incident really proves is that Obama aye-sayers are as prone to reciting the standard talking points ("a huge victory over the MIC!") as their putative enemies across the aisle.

_________________________________________________________________ Windows Live™ Hotmail®: Search, add, and share the web’s latest sports videos. Check it out. http://www.windowslive.com/Online/Hotmail/Campaign/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_QA_HM_sports_videos_072009&cat=sports