[lbo-talk] Black scholar arrest angers Obama

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 16:43:31 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM, shag carpet bomb <shag at cleandraws.com>wrote:

> yeah. it is. they call it assault. if you wag your finger at them, they
> call it battery. it might not be de jure, but it is sure as shit de facto.
>
> sociologically speaking, it boils down to this: the issue is about respect
> for the cops. if you show that you diss them, then how DARE you. you have
> shown that you dare disrespect their authority, to them, then you have no
> respect for the law. it's the same reason why they give cop killers the
> death penalty or harsher sentences. ditto if you hit, kick, bite a cop.
> bigger violation against a cop than citizen.
>
> shag
>
> And to add to that point. This is what this backlash about Obama's
statements are about. How dare anybody, even the POTUS, even raise the question that the police officer acted stupidly, to even question their authority.

On the other side, when a cop obviously oversteps their authority in abuse, beating and killing, many times they get off scott free, with the case either never being brought to trial or easy acquittals when they do.

And look at the case of the shooting of Oscar Grant in Oakland this last new year. The cop goes back to the station house, resigns so he doesn't have to make a statement, and he walks out, goes home and even leaves the state. Why didn't they arrest him right off the bat? Several of his fellow cops saw him shoot a kid on the ground! Unbelievable.

I recall several letters to the editor in response to CopWatch, and some peoples' attitude was how dare anybody go out and watch the police and attempt to hold them accountable.

What is happening is that a significant sector of society believes we should be overly deferential to the police. That they can do no wrong. This is basically conditioning for an authoritarian society. -- http://left-wingwacko.blogspot.com/