[lbo-talk] An Open Letter to Lefty Friends, Colleagues and Bitter Foes Who're Disappointed by Obama

Gar Lipow the.typo.boy at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 18:58:57 PDT 2009

If you want a short predigested version, Nathan Newman's article from 2001, http://www.nathannewman.org/other/ImpeachSC.html though nominally aimed at supporting impeachment of the Rehnquist Court over Gore vs. Bush, actually was argument that the judiciary was historically the reactionary branch. It supported slavery against freedom, the state against civil liberties. The courts castrated the the reconstruction amendments to the constitution, using tortured reasoning and judicial activism to water feed the growing Jim Crow system after the the civil war. It historically took the side of business against labor, and defended property rights against environmental protection. The Warren Court was an exception, a shining moment in an otherwise spattered and stained court record. And even it was not shining all the way through.

I won't forward the whole article. But again here is the link. http://www.nathannewman.org/other/ImpeachSC.html , Impeachment is a dead issue. And I think Newman understates the value of the the Warren court, and how unlikely some of these things were to happen via other branches of government given the barriers to democracy built into our constitution. But he when he does not stray into counterfactuals, I think his argument that the courts have been on net reactionary before the Warren Court and on net after the the Warren court are not refutable. And this argument is really 90% of the paper. On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Doug Henwood<dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: