[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Jul 26 04:32:51 PDT 2009

Sorry. I inadvertently omitted the meat of the Engels comment in Anti-Duhring (emphasis mine):

"It is very easy to inveigh against slavery and similar things in general terms, and to give vent to high moral indignation at such infamies. Unfortunately all that this conveys is only what everyone knows, namely, that these institutions of antiquity are no longer in accord with our present conditions and our sentiments, which these conditions determine. But it does not tell us one word as to how these institutions arose, why they existed, and what role they played in history. AND WHEN WE EXAMINE THESE QUESTIONS, WE ARE COMPELLED TO SAY—HOWEVER CONTRADICTORY AND HERETICAL IT MAY SOUND—THAT THE INTRODUCTION OF SLAVERY UNDER THE CONDITIONS PREVAILING AT THAT TIME WAS A GREAT STEP FORWARD."

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marv Gandall" <marvgandall at videotron.ca> To: "LBO-Talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 7:15 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in