[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jul 26 08:20:15 PDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 7:43 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> Note that Engels justifies the introduction of slavery by appeal to
> a normative, that is, moral, framework. Otherwise it wouldn't have
> been a great step forward. It would have just been.

I think so. From my admittedly naive perspective, there seems to be some attempt at eating and having cake. Which goes back to a version of Michael Pollak's point: that when you claim objectivity while "inveigh"ing against other people's morality, you are merely asserting your morality to be superior to theirs. Which is fine, as long as you can back it up.

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski