[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jul 26 14:22:30 PDT 2009

Might be of interest to Ian, Chuck, Doss, perhaps others:

http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~tf/bat-on-badiou.pdf

> One of the more astonishing aspects of Alain Badiou’s
> philosophical position is that the key to what is most
> distinctive about it can be summarized in just three
> words: mathematics is ontology. His major work, Being
> and Event, kicks off with this stark assertion, and
> proceeds to derive a series of bold conclusions – the
> wresting of ontology from Heidegger’s embrace, the
> construction of a rigorous and rationalist metaphysics,
> and a wholesale refoundation of the relationship
> between philosophy and science, the latter henceforth
> being conceived as one of philosophy’s ‘conditions’.

A French philosopher (post-1950) who knows mathematics! I am intrigued. ;-)

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski