[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Sun Jul 26 19:47:54 PDT 2009

On Jul 26, 2009, at 9:05 PM, Chuck Grimes wrote:
> ``..mathematics is ontology.'' (Badiou, via ravi)
>
> -------

I am still wading through this chap's output, trying to apply my feeble mind to it... I figure I should given that I advertise under the title "Plato's Beard". But...

> Wow. Absolutely god dmaned right. But Badiou my dear, never get out of
> the boat, or you might get eaten by tigers...
>
> Here is the problem with the deep platonism of this idea. Crudely put
> it was destroyed by Goedel's dual theorems on consistancy and
> completeness.

I am not sure I agree, any more than those who criticise Penrose's use of Gödel's theorem(s) do with that. More on that later... in the meantime, if anyone wants a peek at Number and Numbers:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6208362/Allain-Badiou-Number-and-Numbers

and if you do not like to sign up for stuff, http://bugmenot.com/

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski