[lbo-talk] Blue Dogs cashing in

shag carpet bomb shag at cleandraws.com
Mon Jul 27 18:13:34 PDT 2009

At 09:03 PM 7/27/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Except that there's an enormous variation in worldviews - morals,
>whatever - with a class.

right. which is why I wrote further below:

"At any rate, the point is that people come to their moral positions -- to their recognition that something is immoral -- because of their location in the social structure, through the unique confluence of experiences in that social structure."

_unique confluence of experiences_ refers to what, in sociology (olden daze sociology) we would have call "individuation."

e.g., the reason one of my mentors went into sociology was not to find out why so many people were the same, but why, in his catholic family of 9 children, two became professors, one a priest, one died of AIDS, another a multi-millionair tire store owner, etc.

Which is to say, he wanted to know why, with the same catholic school teachers, the same neighborhood, so damn much the same, why so much variation in the outcome?

shag

"let's be civil and nice, but not to the point of obeying the rules of debate as defined by liberal blackmail (in which, discomfort caused by a challenge is seen as some vague form of harassment)."

-- Dwayne Monroe, 11/19/08

-- http://cleandraws.com Wear Clean Draws