[lbo-talk] Alain Badiou - Number and Numbers - Reviewed by John Kadvany

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 09:16:11 PDT 2009

badiou *is* a big fan of forcing . . . to a point. and i think that's the important part. there is one "subtraction" (in his parlance) that you don't make, the final subtraction. you can never claim to grasp the infinite (=the multiple) -- this is, as it were, "a forcing too far." but this is what i like about him. i don't have it right here, but i believe i am thinking of an essay "on subtraction" in _infinite thought_. he is really trying to avoid the parmenidean one -- the primal is multiple, oneness is so to speak "brought about," in a sense subtracted from the multiple. i am pretty sure the first thing of badiou's i actually read was this one: http://www.lacan.com/badpas.htm (which is embarrassing to admit, since it is so late). i am obsessed with the problems of negation, and so of course i was hooked. i actually blogged it once (shag might actually vaguely remember it -- iirc she might have posted a comment on that one. but maybe it was another one). anyway, i think the question of the relation of math to actual beings in the world is the task of LM (logics of worlds, in translation). maybe e.beck can comment on this, if he feels like bothering (which he may not and i wouldn't blame him). peter hallward reviews LM here: < http://www.newleftreview.org/?view=2744>.

excerpt: ----- While the equation of ontology and mathematics allowed him to mount a radical challenge to more familiar conceptions of being (such as those of Heidegger or Deleuze), its literal foundation on the void seemed to eliminate any significant link between the ontological and the ontic domains, between being-qua-*being* and being-qua-*beings*. It provided clarity and distinction in a realm where many other thinkers had preferred to draw on religion or art, but did so at the cost of rendering the discourse of being utterly abstract. It served to reduce the scope of ontology from the study of what and how something is to a manipulation of the consequences stemming from the assertion *that* it is. Conceiving the being or presenting of a person (or a particle, a planet, an organism) as a mathematical set can by definition tell us nothing about the empirical or material—let alone historical or social—existence of such beings. The definition of situation adapted from the mathematical model of a set reduced it to an elementary presentation or collection of units or terms, and such a definition pays no attention to the relations that might structure the configuration or development of those terms, for instance relations of struggle or solidarity. [ . . . ]

As its title suggests, the new book aims to provide an account of a ‘world’ understood not simply as a set or collection of elements but as a variable domain of logical and even ‘phenomenological’ coherence, a domain whose elements normally seem to ‘hold together’ in a relatively stable way. It supplements a set-theoretical account of being-qua-being with a topological account of ‘being-*there*’—an account of how a being comes to appear in a particular world as more or less discernible or ‘at home’ in that world. [ . . . ] ----

sorry -- i think i have answered you rather orthogonally (if you'll forgive my putting it that way ;-), ravi. but i think i am in the ballpark of your worries? as well as chuck's. i do have a sub to NLR, btw. you know, in case you don't.