[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review of Badiou's Number)

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Jul 28 14:04:17 PDT 2009

In regards to the question of new social movements (NSMs), one of the biggest problems that I have had with the Badiou/Zizek axis has been there inability to recognize anything other than liberal multiculturalism within those movements. While it's true that large sections of those movements were brought into that position, this seemed to be a deliberate attempt to depoliticize those movements and to an extent, their exhaustion, rather than some sort of logical end to their goals. In a broader sense, my discomfort with this view is that it seems to dismiss the contributions that those groups have made in transforming what the class struggle is, particularly around the question of reproductive labor.... robert wood