[lbo-talk] reading badiou -- worth it? (was: Review of Badiou's Number)

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jul 28 14:29:50 PDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Matthias Wasser wrote:
> I must confess that my forays into Badiou (beyond a few concrete
> essays like
> "the uses of the word 'Jew'") left me totally incomprehending. If
> one wants
> to eventually get a grasp on the more difficult Verso-y writers (ie
> beyond
> reading Zizek for the dirty jokes), is there a particular curriculum
> (read
> this, then read this, then read this; then watch these lectures on
> YouTube)
> or way of approaching the text that one should take?

Considering the "mathematics is ontology" bit and some of the material in Number and Numbers, I am at a loss for any short-term strategy to *evaluate* Badiou. I am at a point where with some effort I might be able to remember and rework the relevant mathematical developments from about 1870 to 1960 (Dedekind to Cohen). But even if this strenuous task can be completed, I am not sure I can then move up a level to address and understand the implications of the mathematical results (it is unsurprising that there remains, thanks to someone as eminent as Penrose, so much debate around even the interpretation of Gödel's results). I think one needs to understand the parsimonious versions before one can parse the radical ones. And keeping up with things right up to Quine and Putnam is tough enough ... how to approach Wittgenstein, let alone Badiou? I may have to leave it to stronger souls/minds,

--ravi

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski