[lbo-talk] post-news, etc.

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Jul 29 05:18:31 PDT 2009

[From The Awl's daily email.]

Oh hi,

You know, I didn't want to put this on the Internet, because I do believe that negative attention is also a form of attention that attention-seeking people are happy to receive!

In this modern world, attention is actually currency. And there are many people that I do not wish to pay.

So, just between us horses here in the barn, I'm kind of reeling over this interview with (yes, sorry) Chris Anderson, the editor of Wired and the author of the new book "Free," with The Germans:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,638172,00.html

SPIEGEL: Mr. Anderson, let's talk about the future of journalism.

Anderson: This is going to be a very annoying interview. I don't use the word journalism.

SPIEGEL: Okay, how about newspapers? They are in deep trouble both in the United States and worldwide.

Anderson: Sorry, I don't use the word media. I don't use the word news. I don't think that those words mean anything anymore. They defined publishing in the 20th century. Today, they are a barrier. They are standing in our way, like a horseless carriage.

SPIEGEL: Which other words would you use?

Anderson: There are no other words. We're in one of those strange eras where the words of the last century don't have meaning. What does news mean to you, when the vast majority of news is created by amateurs?

My word! It goes on. And it was brought to my attention by the fine people at http://snarkmarket.com/blog

Or I am assuming they are fine people. For all I know they are MONSTERS. So hard to know, on the Internet.

Anyway, please keep in mind that this is from the millionaire whose Twitter recently included the suggestion "Suck it, NYT!" Charmed, I'm sure!

What to do? Well I have often offered the advice to people that "If you ignore them, they will go away." I am working really hard on that! I am going to ignore him, and he is going to go away. I am creating a Safe Space for myself!

xo

Choire TheAwl.com