[lbo-talk] Being and Event: the Deep, Penetrating Massage Review, Coming Soon!

// ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Jul 29 07:33:13 PDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009, at 3:55 AM, Chris Doss wrote:
> Do you mean "zero" as in "the number zero", or "zero" as in "a bunch
> of losers"?
>
> The number zero _is_ an affront to reason. ;)

Says another white man with a post-graduate (or close to, IIRC) degree. QED.

;-)

--ravi

> --- On Tue, 7/28/09, // ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>>
>> But it is the Platonic turn that continues to worry me.
>> After much speculation, I have tentatively concluded that
>> there are things about the ancient Greeks that give your
>> average white man with a post-graduate degree a boner. Like
>> Ronald Reagan for the conservatives, these Hellenic
>> superstars seem to exist larger than life, representing all
>> sorts of miraculous and foundational promises and desires.
>> Hence the zero of the "Hindoos" and the Arabs (here I am not
>> quoting Badiou as much as throwing him into a camp, though
>> to quote Badiou: "The modern ruination of the Greek
>> thinking") is a taint on the purity of Hellenic thought. But
>> I digress (for I am once again thinking of Kline, more than
>> my new friend Badiou). It is passages such as the below that
>> are impenetrable to me:

-- Anyone who takes an effort to intellectually challenge the status quo and established habits is infinitely more venerable than hacks defending that status quo and established habits, regardless of the truth function of their propositions. -- W.Sokolowski