[lbo-talk] Review of Badiou's Number and Numbers

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Jul 29 07:44:32 PDT 2009

On Mon, 27 Jul 2009, mart wrote:

>> Here is the problem with the deep platonism of this idea. Crudely put
>> it was destroyed by Goedel's dual theorems on consistancy and
>> completeness.
>
> despite his theorems, godel actually was a kind of Platonist

Yes indeed. Jim Holt had a wonderful article on Goedel's deep Platonism in the New Yorker a couple of years ago:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/02/28/050228crat_atlarge

If you're into this sort of thing, the whole article is very worth while, for the anecdotes as well as the idea.

But as for his abiding platonism:

<begin excerpt>

Gödel entered the University of Vienna in 1924. He had intended to

study physics, but he was soon seduced by the beauties of mathematics,

and especially by the notion that abstractions like numbers and circles

had a perfect, timeless existence independent of the human mind. This

doctrine, which is called Platonism, because it descends from Plato's

theory of ideas, has always been popular among mathematicians. In the

philosophical world of nineteen-twenties Vienna, however, it was

considered distinctly old-fashioned.

Among the many intellectual

movements that flourished in the city's rich café culture, one of the

most prominent was the Vienna Circle, a group of thinkers united in

their belief that philosophy must be cleansed of metaphysics and made

over in the image of science. Under the influence of Ludwig

Wittgenstein, their reluctant guru, the members of the Vienna Circle

regarded mathematics as a game played with symbols, a more intricate

version of chess. What made a proposition like "2 + 2 = 4" true, they

held, was not that it correctly described some abstract world of

numbers but that it could be derived in a logical system according to

certain rules.

Gödel was introduced into the Vienna Circle by one of his professors,

but he kept quiet about his Platonist views. Being both rigorous and

averse to controversy, he did not like to argue his convictions unless

he had an airtight way of demonstrating that they were valid. But how

could one demonstrate that mathematics could not be reduced to the

artifices of logic? Gödel's strategy--one of "heart-stopping beauty,"

as Goldstein justly observes--was to use logic against itself.

Beginning with a logical system for mathematics, one presumed to be

free of contradictions, he invented an ingenious scheme that allowed

the formulas in it to engage in a sort of double speak. A formula that

said something about numbers could also, in this scheme, be interpreted

as saying something about other formulas and how they were logically

related to one another. In fact, as Gödel showed, a numerical formula

could even be made to say something about itself. (Goldstein compares

this to a play in which the characters are also actors in a play within

the play; if the playwright is sufficiently clever, the lines the

actors speak in the play within the play can be interpreted as having a

"real life" meaning in the play proper.) Having painstakingly built

this apparatus of mathematical self-reference, Gödel came up with an

astonishing twist: he produced a formula that, while ostensibly saying

something about numbers, also says, "I am not provable." At first, this

looks like a paradox, recalling as it does the proverbial Cretan who

announces, "All Cretans are liars." But Gödel's self-referential

formula comments on its provability, not on its truthfulness. Could it

be lying? No, because if it were, that would mean it could be proved,

which would make it true. So, in asserting that it cannot be proved, it

has to be telling the truth. But the truth of this proposition can be

seen only from outside the logical system. Inside the system, it is

neither provable nor disprovable. The system, then, is incomplete. The

conclusion--that no logical system can capture all the truths of

mathematics--is known as the first incompleteness theorem. Gödel also

proved that no logical system for mathematics could, by its own

devices, be shown to be free from inconsistency, a result known as the

second incompleteness theorem.

Wittgenstein once averred that "there can never be surprises in logic."

But Gödel's incompleteness theorems did come as a surprise. In fact,

when the fledgling logician presented them at a conference in the

German city of Königsberg in 1930, almost no one was able to make any

sense of them. What could it mean to say that a mathematical

proposition was true if there was no possibility of proving it? The

very idea seemed absurd. Even the once great logician Bertrand Russell

was baffled; he seems to have been under the misapprehension that Gödel

had detected an inconsistency in mathematics. "Are we to think that 2 +

2 is not 4, but 4.001?" Russell asked decades later in dismay, adding

that he was "glad [he] was no longer working at mathematical logic." As

the significance of Gödel's theorems began to sink in, words like

"debacle," "catastrophe," and "nightmare" were bandied about. It had

been an article of faith that, armed with logic, mathematicians could

in principle resolve any conundrum at all--that in mathematics, as it

had been famously declared, there was no ignorabimus. Gödel's theorems

seemed to have shattered this ideal of complete knowledge.

That was not the way Gödel saw it. He believed he had shown that

mathematics has a robust reality that transcends any system of logic.

But logic, he was convinced, is not the only route to knowledge of this

reality; we also have something like an extrasensory perception of it,

which he called "mathematical intuition." It is this faculty of

intuition that allows us to see, for example, that the formula saying

"I am not provable" must be true, even though it defies proof within

the system where it lives.

<end excerpt>

And as an example of the anecdotes:

<begin excerpt>

So naïve and otherworldly was the great logician that Einstein felt

obliged to help look after the practical aspects of his life. One much

retailed story concerns Gödel's decision after the war to become an

American citizen. The character witnesses at his hearing were to be

Einstein and Oskar Morgenstern, one of the founders of game theory.

Gödel took the matter of citizenship with great solemnity, preparing

for the exam by making a close study of the United States Constitution.

On the eve of the hearing, he called Morgenstern in an agitated state,

saying he had found an "inconsistency" in the Constitution, one that

could allow a dictatorship to arise. Morgenstern was amused, but he

realized that Gödel was serious and urged him not to mention it to the

judge, fearing that it would jeopardize Gödel's citizenship bid. On the

short drive to Trenton the next day, with Morgenstern serving as

chauffeur, Einstein tried to distract Gödel with jokes. When they

arrived at the courthouse, the judge was impressed by Gödel's eminent

witnesses, and he invited the trio into his chambers. After some small

talk, he said to Gödel, "Up to now you have held German citizenship."

No, Gödel corrected, Austrian.

"In any case, it was under an evil dictatorship," the judge continued.

"Fortunately that's not possible in America."

"On the contrary, I can prove it is possible!" Gödel exclaimed, and he

began describing the constitutional loophole he had descried. But the

judge told the examinee that "he needn't go into that," and Einstein

and Morgenstern succeeded in quieting him down. A few months later,

Gödel took his oath of citizenship.

<end excerpt>

Michael