[lbo-talk] Why Public Option Is Defective; Why Only Single-Payer Will Do

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 13:09:06 PDT 2009

i guess the single payer argument essentially wins based on data from other countries---though i wonder if in those places doctors aren't salaried professionals (as is the case for places like Mayo clinic) as oposed to fee-for-service entrepeneurs. one apparent right wing insurance company flack named leavitt was making the case that while medicare has low overhead, one way they do this is to spend little on management or cost/benefit analyses but more or less guyarantee to pay for all health services, so that part of the ticket is huge (and this is why medicare spending is very large (almost 1T$ i think). also this breeds scams (ie lying about heaslth conditions to get a reimbursement.)

so, the 'firehouse' analogy may not be correct unless doctors are salaried employees---firefighters in general don't get paid per fire, possibly because that might be seen as a socially perverse incentive. (but maybe it would create higher quality firefighters as does fee-for-service health care.)