[lbo-talk] Badiou again

mart media314159 at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 30 03:55:50 PDT 2009

clifford (of whom i only read one fairly popular book from the 1800's i think) is viewed with reimann as anticipating einstein and essentially seeing the universe (or matter) as a geometrical property---matter as curvature .( wheeler's geometrodynamics continued the legacy; i've seen some stuff arguing you actually just need topology (order relations, no metric) to get everything...) i think some people with credentials etc. are using his numbers to try to disprove quantum mechanics now (ie bell's theorem---god dont take no random walk down wall street for nothing). (the issue of 'what is outside the universe' always comes up in relativity---eg if its expanding then what is it expanding into---the standard answer is there is no outside. or maybe, to quote wheeler and topolpgy 'the boundary of a boundary is zero'.)

interestingly, if you look at the 'foundations of math' archives (an e-list where even martin davis sometimes posts) there is a discussion of badieu this month---they basically give him acceptable reviews, saying he knows his math even is he is not a practicioner, though they say his philosophical extrapolations are just that---speculations. there's alot more on that list too. (harvey friedman puts category theory in its place, which i agree with, in a discussion about hilary putnam---i've known some people who take the reverse view, holding that set theory is just pretentious . these 2 vie for being most basic (and category theory is more topological or spatial using graphs. i view it as a tower of babble but no worse than other dialects.)

its hard to know what to make of taking ideas like the platonic solids or forcing or 'relativity' and then extrapolating that to life, eg ontologoes and ethics of a platonic universe of timeless forms (which essentially chomsky does with his cartesian linguistics (his south end press book on mind and language goes through it---i consider it a proof of insanity, but at least its nonviolent (wear your home detention bracelet on the MIT campus or you'll end up like Gates, drinking bud in the paint it balck house...) ---all the words actually live out there, and humans innately pick up on those, just as they do radio stations which also are naturally out there thanks to free market optimization and the FCC (didnt that guy ted kazinski call himself fc? so maybe thats to the fcc what zf is to zfc. 'we are family' (pointer sisters---signifying nothing, like boris rotman (another weird math philosopher) ).

on the FOM list there's also a review from last month of russian math people who believed in a religion of 'naming names'---eg if you name god, then s/he exists, and so on. they even thought the trinity followed from the triangle somehow---luzin is one of them i think (they were measuring infinities..). that is similar to the forcing idea----you just name whatever you need and see what follows (even politically). like forcing, apparently the names are dependent, so once you make one sort of choice you get alot of other relationships fixed (or at least thats what shelah and such claim about large cardinal axioms. i think paul cohen believed that the continuum was aleph 3 so you have 2 uncountable steps before you are there.)

i remember this little kid once saying 'you are nothing'. very disrespectful, but maybe its true.

for some more crazy stuff along this line check out the notorious G (not big G of backyard nor BIG) but G spencer Brown whose stuff is on the web (f/laws of form). i did try to read being and nothingness but playing in the sandbox might be more fun. wikipedia or the new york review and reader's digeest are pretty much my sources for hegel, foucault, spinoza, leibniz etc. the historical devbates with frege, cassierer, bertrand russell etc. are interesting to dip into, like a dose of ezra pound. but nowadays we have progressed to linux and 'you say your a gangsta but you ainst said nohting, you're a wangsta, you aint never done nothing' whcih more or less covers the territory.

or, without neccesarily going back and reading dedekind or principia mathematica or darwin, one could distill those very long disucssions and try to impose some order on the real numbers. (find some x defined recursively or by a function such that you cannot prove that it is greater or less than zero because each approximation hops around the origin. there is one very good result of this form which i unfortunately cannot remember what it is---i think its in a nonstandard logic. )