[lbo-talk] Badiou again

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jul 30 16:51:55 PDT 2009

interestingly, if you look at the 'foundations of math' archives... mart

The source of many of the llinks I have posted here. Martin Davis BTW runs the list now. I sent email to Gabriel Stolzenberg, a mathematician, occasional FoM contributor and Sokal debunker, asking him if he had any thoughts on Badiou and I will post something on that soon. -- ravi

------------

Below is a link to FOM on Badiou:

http://www.cs.nyu.edu/pipermail/fom/2009-July/013866.html

Which was current last week.

So, it seems from those posting on Badiou the consensus is Badiou knows his set theory and its meta-mathematical and or philosophy issues.

I thought those posts were really interesting and helped a lot to figure out what's going on today about all these issues I read about in my very old fashion and long dead people library. This means I am stuck in my early modern concepts.

I am afraid my awareness of what mathematics is, is time stamped in the past, somewhere in the 1930s, since most of my books were written by that generation. So for example, I just learned ten minutes ago, about Universal Algebra. Wow. As I understand UA is something like a generalization of group theory. I left off with my old Birkoff and MacLane text Intro to Modern Algebra from the 60s.

Anyway, I reposting this review, that Martin posted earilar:

http://ndpr.nd.edu/review.cfm?id=14345

I just finished it this afternoon. It seems like good summary of Badiou's project in Number and Mumbers. The reviewer John Kadvany sounds like a pretty interesting thinker in his own right.

For anybody having trouble understanding N and N, this review will help. It's a good reference place to find some of the more modern history.

CG