[lbo-talk] Fred Feldman: The Obama presidency is over

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Jul 31 22:11:29 PDT 2009

On Fri, July 31, 2009 12:00 pm, Julio Huato wrote:

> We seem to be seeing a disintegration of the Obama administration.

By no means. Obama campaigned on war-mongering in Afghanistan, continuing SOFA in Iraq, bullying Russia and China, maintaining trillion dollar military budgets, passing a national version of the horrible MassCare fraud, and yanking Latin America back into neoliberal misery. I read Obama's campaign platform from cover to cover, and there's nothing in his six months of office which has deviated in the slightest from that text. He's a master performer who promised the rebirth of Empire.

What's changed, of course, is what the comrades used to call "the world situation". The US Empire is disintegrating before our very eyes. Its wars are not credible, its economy is a wreck, its debt is unsustainable. No force on earth can revive it. We should acknowledge this truth and fight like hell for a post-Imperial future.

-- DRR