[lbo-talk] [WTF] More than 10% of Texans currently wanted bypolice

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Mon Jun 1 21:44:44 PDT 2009

Are they breaking any US laws?

Christopher E. Doss Moscow, Russian Federation

That's not the point, people on this list talk about the need for prisons to serve some moral purpose, to be part of the execution of justice, and I'm saying it won't work.

Practically everybody I know has either committed a criminal act (according to U.S. law) or known somebody who did. But pretty much the only people in jail are the poor. So, it has nothing to do with justice.

I don't mean to deny that sometimes restraint is necessary, but it would concern only a fraction of the people now in jail.

I'm actually totally with Carrol on this one. And, if there were a party that had the guts to advocate for the abolishment of prisons, it would impress the hell out of me.

Joanna