[lbo-talk] Baucus to Meet with Single-Payer Advocates

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 16:40:58 PDT 2009

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> This is guy is a study in how little public opinion matters on this
>> issue.
>>

> Or on any other issue - until the public opinion takes to the streets -
> continuously and in not too orderly a fashion.
>
> That is the reason that a _serious_ movement concentrates on reaching
> and raising the level of activity of those already on its side, rather
> than on fussing around trying to 'persuade' public opinion.

This reminds me of something I just read - a quote from the keynote speech at a 1962 SDS conference: "We shall succeed through force -- through the exertion of such pressure as will force our reluctant allies to accommodate us, in their own interest." The speaker was Tom Kahn, who shortly afterward became a neoconservative, which is not surprising since it's basically the same philosophy.

SA