[lbo-talk] Baucus to Meet with Single-Payer Advocates

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 20:47:23 PDT 2009

I'm with shag... who I think is saying, at least in part, that the structure, content and opportunties legislators and bureaucrats feel they have depends mightily on whether there is sustained, mutually reinforcing noise being made by organized groups in and across society... its not like the judges appointed by Eisenhower and Nixon started off as "liberals", it seems to me, in order to sustain much legitimacy at all in the second half of the sixties and most of the seventies these men and women couldn't baldly side against the tenor of the times (even if the tenor was mildly liberal rather than rabidly so, as is so often presented to us in the MSM. Wojtek, have you read any of the many many critiques of Skocpal's hyperstatism? As I recall, its been a while, Fred Block and Bill Domhoff are among the most vociferous left Weberians... Her strong statements, as I recall, almost always took it on the logical and empirical chin in my readings circa 20 years ago. O'Connor's Fiscal Crisis of the State presents an implicit critique, even if it preceded most of Skocpal's most famous material.