[lbo-talk] Surrealists and homosexuality

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Fri Jun 5 08:59:33 PDT 2009

The only surrealist that comes close to fascism is Salvador Dali, and that seemed to be primarily an act of opportunism and cynicism. (Breton referred to him as Avada Dollars.) For the most part, the surrealists were strongly linked to the left, connected loosely to the communist movement and anti-colonialism (which they probably had a stronger commitment to than the official parties. Breton wrote the intro to Cesaire's Discourse on Colonialism, for instance, and Leiris wrote the first major critique of european anthropology) robert wood