[lbo-talk] Surrealists and homosexuality

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 10:49:43 PDT 2009

At 10:10 AM 6/5/2009, Chris Doss wrote:

>He did numerous paintings for Franco,

And Andy Warhol put Nancy Reagan on the cover of Interview. Dali also sent Ceauescu a telegram commending his adoption of a sceptre. The guy was a freak

>was kicked out of the Surrealist Group for saying nice things about Hitler

There was more to it than that. As far as what he said about Hitler, here's his comment on his own painting, The Engima of Hitler:

"I felt this painting to be deeply prophetic. But I confess that I haven't yet figured out the Hitler enigma either. He attracted me only as an object of my mad imaginings and because I saw him as a man uniquely capable of turning things completely upside down."

Sounds dead on to me.

http://www.opaintings.com/artists/dali/reproduction/2595/the-enigma-of-hitler.html:

>IIRC sent Franco letters of congratulations after the latter had a
>bunch of Communists shot.

He also continued to praise Lorca while living in Franco's Spain when such talk was verboten.

I'm not saying Dali was or wasn't a fascist. I'm just saying that is not the most interesting question to put to such "enigmas".