[lbo-talk] Surrealists and politics and homosexuality

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 5 17:24:07 PDT 2009

At 05:09 PM 6/5/2009, Jim Farmelant wrote:

>For an unforgiving account of Dali's
>politics, see Vicente Navarro's piece:

Where we read:

>Drawing this equivalency between Dali and Picasso is profoundly
>offensive to all those who remember Picasso's active support for the
>democratic forces of Spain and who regard his "Guernica" (painted at
>the request of the Spanish republican government) as an
>international symbol of the fight against fascism and the Franco regime.

Wake me when the righteous indignation is over.

"Dali was a fascist"

"Picasso was a wife-beater"

But the worst of the worst was Firefly the Upstart:

Firefly: What was that you called me?

Trentino: Do you mean Worm?

Firefly: No, that wasn't it.

Trentino: I know Swine!

Firefly: ...No, it was a seven letter word.

Trentino: Oh yes, Upstart?

Firefly: That's it! Upstart.

Firefly slaps Trentino across the face with his gloves. Trentino departs, vowing Sylvania's declaration of war on Freedonia: "This means WAR!" Firefly adds:

Go, and never darken my towels again!

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Axk0trS3LqcJ:www.filmsite.org/duck3.html+%22duck+soup%22+upstart&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us