[lbo-talk] another DH loves BHO in Cairo

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Jun 6 09:51:45 PDT 2009

Michael thinks that the Obama administration and Israeli opposition parties are essentially driven by moral considerations - they are "hypocrites" who want "clean moral skirts". I understand ruling classes, states, and politicians as in general being more sophisticated and pragmatic than that, and mainly proceeding by defining their interests with reference to an ever-changing balance of forces.

Why is it so difficult to conceive that the Obama administration and it's supporters in Israel would conclude that the occupation is profoundly DESTABILIZING, globally as well as in the Middle East, and that a WEAK Palestinian state wholly dependent on Israel is much preferable?

This doesn't mean it will succeed where the Clinton administration narrowly failed nine years ago. The new DP administration will also have to take into account its domestic political interests and how far it can push it's agenda against opposition from conservative Republicans and the pro-Israel lobby. But I think it's (amoral) intent is clear and, in terms of the strategic interests of the US Empire, quite rational at this juncture in the Middle East.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Smith" <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Saturday, June 06, 2009 11:08 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] another DH loves BHO in Cairo