[lbo-talk] D-Day, War is a brutal atrocity even when you are being liberated

Left-Wing Wacko leftwingwacko at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:20:37 PDT 2009

According to the French survivors of D-Day, war is still a brutal atrocity even when you are being liberated by your so-called allies. This story reminds me of Howard Zinn's retelling of his WWII experiences as a crew member on a bomber plane, dropping bombs on allied French villages. I thought it was a relatively rare occurrence, apparently I was wrong.

Another interesting aspect to this story is that the atrocities were not just by aerial bombardment, but raping and looting of the French civilian population. And of course a disproportionate number of black U.S. soldiers were excuted for those crimes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8084210.stm

*A revisionist theme seems to have settled on this year's 65th anniversary commemoration of the Normandy landings. *

The tone was set in Antony's Beevor's new book, D-Day, which tries to debunk certain received ideas about the Allied campaign.

Far from being an unmitigated success, Mr Beevor found, the landings came very close to going horribly wrong.

And far from being universally welcomed as liberators, many troops had a distinctly surly reception from the people of Normandy.

The reason for this was simple. Many Normandy towns and villages had been literally obliterated by Allied bombing.

The bombardment of Caen, Mr Beevor said, could almost be considered a war-crime (though he later retracted the comment).

Many historians will retort that there is nothing new in Mr Beevor's account.

*Harrowing experience*

After all, the scale of destruction is already well-established.

Some 20,000 French civilians were killed in the two-and-a-half months from D-Day, 3,000 of them during the actual landings.

In some areas - like the Falaise pocket where the Germans were pounded into oblivion at the end of the campaign - barely a building was left standing and soldiers had to walk over banks of human corpses.

Continues at link above.

-- http://left-wingwacko.blogspot.com/