[lbo-talk] munchers (PS)

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sun Jun 7 12:58:17 PDT 2009

I went back and re-read Shag's original post about the book she's reading. The picture that emerged was quite unrecognizable. Chomsky, so far as I know, has never had anything to say about the "origin of language", a topic pretty much inaccessible to investigation.

And although he's never been interested in doing field work himself, I'm not aware that he's ever "laughed at" such work "as a waste of time." Harper's magazine as a source on the somewhat rarefied topic of syntactic theory may not be quite up to the task.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org