[lbo-talk] The Nation: The Iraqi Special Forces

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Jun 7 17:34:00 PDT 2009

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090622/bauer

June 3, 2009 [June 22, 2009 edition] The Nation.

Iraq's New Death Squad By Shane Bauer

The light is fading from the dusty Baghdad sky as Hassan Mahsan

re-enacts what happened to his family last summer. We're standing in

the courtyard of his concrete-block house, his children are watching us

quietly and his wife is twirling large circles of dough and slapping

them against the inside walls of a roaring oven. He walks over to his

three-foot-tall daughter and grabs her head like a melon. As she stands

there, he gestures wildly behind her, pretending to tie up her hands,

then pretending to point a rifle at her head. "They took the blindfold

off me, pointed the gun at her head and cocked it, saying, 'Either you

tell us where al-Zaydawi is, or we kill your daughter.'"

"They just marched into our house and took whatever they wanted,"

Hassan's mother says, peeking out the kitchen door. "I've never seen

anyone act like this."

As Hassan tells it, it was a quiet night on June 10, 2008, in Sadr

City, Baghdad's poor Shiite district of more than 2 million people,

when the helicopter appeared over his house and the front door

exploded, nearly burning his sleeping youngest son. Before Hassan knew

it, he was on the ground, hands bound and a bag over his head, with

eight men pointing rifles at him, locked and loaded.

At first he couldn't tell whether the men were Iraqis or Americans. He

says he identified himself as a police sergeant, offering his ID before

they took his pistol and knocked him to the ground. The men didn't move

like any Iraqi forces he'd ever seen. They looked and spoke like his

countrymen, but they were wearing American-style uniforms and carrying

American weapons with night-vision scopes. They accused him of being a

commander in the local militia, the Mahdi Army, before they dragged him

off, telling his wife he was "finished." But before they left, they

identified themselves. "We are the Special Forces. The dirty brigade,"

Hassan recalls them saying.

The Iraq Special Operations Forces (ISOF) is probably the largest

special forces outfit ever built by the United States, and it is free

of many of the controls that most governments employ to rein in such

lethal forces. The project started in the deserts of Jordan just after

the Americans took Baghdad in April 2003. There, the US Army's Special

Forces, or Green Berets, trained mostly 18-year-old Iraqis with no

prior military experience. The resulting brigade was a Green Beret's

dream come true: a deadly, elite, covert unit, fully fitted with

American equipment, that would operate for years under US command and

be unaccountable to Iraqi ministries and the normal political process.

According to Congressional records, the ISOF has grown into nine

battalions, which extend to four regional "commando bases" across Iraq.

By December, each will be complete with its own "intelligence infusion

cell," which will operate independently of Iraq's other intelligence

networks. The ISOF is at least 4,564 operatives strong, making it

approximately the size of the US Army's own Special Forces in Iraq.

Congressional records indicate that there are plans to double the ISOF

over the next "several years."

According to retired Lt. Col. Roger Carstens, US Special Forces are

"building the most powerful force in the region." In 2008 Carstens,

then a senior fellow at the Center for a New American Security, was an

adviser to the Iraqi National Counter-Terror Force, where he helped set

up the Iraqi counterterrorism laws that govern the ISOF.

"All these guys want to do is go out and kill bad guys all day," he

says, laughing. "These guys are shit hot. They are just as good as we

are. We trained 'em. They are just like us. They use the same weapons.

They walk like Americans."

When the US Special Forces began the slow transfer of the ISOF to Iraqi

control in April 2007, they didn't put it under the command of the

Defense Ministry or the Interior Ministry, bodies that normally control

similar special forces the world over. Instead, the Americans pressured

the Iraqi government to create a new minister-level office called the

Counter-Terrorism Bureau. Established by a directive from Iraq's prime

minister, Nuri al-Maliki, the CTB answers directly to him and commands

the ISOF independently of the police and army. According to Maliki's

directive, the Iraqi Parliament has no influence over the ISOF and

knows little about its mission. US Special Forces operatives like

Carstens have largely overseen the bureau. Carstens says this

independent chain of command "might be the perfect structure" for

counterterrorism worldwide.

Although the force is officially controlled by the Iraqi government,

popular perception in Baghdad is that the ISOF--the dirty brigade--is a

covert, all-Iraqi branch of the US military. That reading isn't far

from the truth. The US Special Forces are still closely involved with

every level of the ISOF, from planning and carrying out missions to

deciding tactics and creating policy.

<snip>

The effective head of the American ISOF project is General Trombitas of

the Iraq National Counter-Terror Transition Team. A towering man with a

gray mustache and a wrinkled brow, Trombitas spent nearly seven of his

over thirty years in the military training special forces in Colombia,

El Salvador and other countries. On February 23 he gave me a tour of

Area IV, a joint American-Iraqi base near the Baghdad International

Airport, where US Special Forces train the ISOF. As we walk away from

the helicopter, he cracks a boyish smile. Though he's worked with

special forces all over the world, he tells me the men we are about to

meet are "the best."

Trombitas says he is "very proud of what was done in El Salvador" but

avoids the fact that special forces trained there by the United States

in the early 1980s were responsible for the formation of death squads

that killed more than 50,000 civilians thought to be sympathetic with

leftist guerrillas. Guatemala was a similar case. Some Guatemalan

special forces that had been trained in anti-terrorism tactics by the

United States during the mid-1960s subsequently became death squads

that took part in the killing of around 140,000 people. In the early

1990s, US Special Forces trained and worked closely with an elite

Colombian police unit strongly suspected of carrying out some of the

murders attributed to Los Pepes, a death squad that became the backbone

of the country's current paramilitary organization. (Trombitas served

in El Salvador from 1989-90 and in Colombia from 2003-2005, after these

incidents took place.)

"The standards get looser when the Americans aren't with [the local

special forces], and they can eventually become death squads, which I

believe actually happened in Colombia," says Mark Bowden, author of

Black Hawk Down and Killing Pablo, a book about the hunt for Colombian

drug lord Pablo Escobar by CIA and US Special Forces. The tactics

taught in each country are the same, Bowden says. "They teach the same

kind of skills. They use the same equipment."

Trombitas told the official blog of the Defense Department that the

training missions used in Latin America are "extremely transferable" to

Iraq. Salvadoran Special Forces even helped train the ISOF, he tells

me.

<snip>

Shane Bauer is a freelance journalist and Arabic speaker living in the

Middle East.

Full at: http://www.thenation.com/doc/20090622/bauer

Michael