[lbo-talk] another DH loves BHO in Cairo

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jun 8 07:51:07 PDT 2009

Matthias Wasser wrote:

> Bhaskar Sunkara wrote: "If leftitsm in the 21st century means support for the right of quasi-fascists to have nuclear weapons and support for Islamist resistance movements that don't have the support of the indigenous progressive forces than I must've missed something at some point."

"MW] "We're not having a moral debate over whether to support the Taliban. (I certainly hope there wouldn't be any lively debate over that question!) We're having a factual debate over what caused the US to invade and occupy Afghanistan and for the rest of the world to support it. It sounds like Shane might be some species of Truther, but a fascist' sympathizer I doubt very much."

Yes. I agree. But more clarity is possible. Being a leftists in any of the core capitalist nations (US, Japan, EU) means giving absolute priority to the struggle to force those nations to withdraw from the rest of the world: No troops abroad. No military aid to criminal regimes such as Saudi Arabia, Israel, Pakistan, or any other ally of "The West" anyplace. The horror that has brooded over the wrold for three centuriesmust be destroyed, preferably from inside. The White Man's Burden must be dropped. The peoples of the non-western world must be left alone to build their own destiny without western interference. If it makes ssomeone feel better he/she can stand in a corner and whisper, "I want everybody to be happy. I don't want bad people to run things in Afghanistan or Algeria or Iran." But if anyone gives actual support to the U.S. or Russia or France "doing good" outside its own borders, then that person is an enemy of humanity.

Carrol