[lbo-talk] Voters steer Europe to the right

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 09:38:05 PDT 2009

On 08/06/2009, Yann Morvan <ymorvan at cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:00:58 +0100, Wojtek Sokolowski
> <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > [WS:] It goes beyond Austria. Right wing, nationalist/nativist
> anti-immigrant "Festung Europa" parties gained considerably in all EU
> countries.
>
> Well in Ireland you couldn't say that Fine Gael is nationalist :)
> And Dublin elected a marxist and trotskyite (beating Fianna Fail and Sinn
> Fein).

None of the parties in Ireland really fall into the category of nationalist/nativist anti-immigrant. You get dodgy comments from time to time from particular Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil politicians but they're simply not in the same league as the BNP et al.

There were candidates from the Immigration Control Platform, which isn't organised on a party level, running in these elections. I'm not sure how many constituencies. But in my own (Dublin Central), which is both the most working class and the one with the highest "influx" of immigrants, they polled around 2%. The left was miles and miles ahead.