[lbo-talk] Voters steer Europe to the right

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 8 14:14:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:59:59 -0400 SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yann Morvan wrote:
>
> > I don't get why people lament the percentages that right-wingers get,
> > given the tiny turnouts.
>
> I love the talk of tiny turnouts in EP elections. I'm not disputing it,
> but here in the states our last *national* parliamentary election - the
> 2006 off-year election, which determined the entire House of
> Representatives and one third of the Senate - had lower turnout: 40%

And the point is...?

SA seems to be arguing that because elections in the US -- which are, of course, highly significant by definition -- have low turnout, then low turnout must not be a good reason to take the recent EP elections with a grain of salt.

There is, of course, an alternative way to solve this equation. But it involves a certain lese-majeste toward the long-running US electoral soap opera.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org