[lbo-talk] Voters steer Europe to the right

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Jun 8 15:38:35 PDT 2009

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 17:43:09 -0400 SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Um, no. The other way around: I'm saying things are even worse in the US
> than they are in Europe, turnout-wise.

I would have said things are slightly better in the US, where 2006 turnout was a hair over 40%, iirc. By contrast 43% of the Euros turned out for the EP elections. Not a big difference, but very much in our favor as far as it goes.

Our fashion sense isn't as good as theirs, but we're a little ahead on political disillusionment.

> BBC coverage of the EP
> elections made a big deal of the low turnout as evidence that
> Europeans couldn't care less about the EP, yet I don't recall quite
> the same emphasis placed on even lower turnout in the 2006 US vote.

Yep. There's a big anti-"Europe" constituency in Britain -- and not just Britain, of course -- so there are people who want to make this case. By contrast, nobody much in the US wants to point out the vacuity of our political system.

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org