[lbo-talk] munchers

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Tue Jun 9 19:01:00 PDT 2009

On Jun 9, 2009, at 6:29 PM, Michael Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:18:14 -0400
> ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>
>> I tend to think of the above research programme of Chomsky as falling
>> more under a theory of mind with attention to language. Thoughts?
>
> On the right track, but I would have said C's program was more modest
> than that. "Theory of mind" is a very large topic. C's somewhat
> smaller
> (but still rather ambitious) program was to characterize the human
> language faculty -- just one component among many of "mind", if
> you want to talk in those terms.

Yes, thank you. That's sort of what I meant by "with attention to language". Should have said it differently. It's not so much what terms I want to talk in ;-), but the terms that might help differentiate Chomsky's work (as I see it) from what might have been traditional linguistics before him -- this difference is also the reason that Zellberger (as I had noted earlier) calls him a founder of Computer Science, and why he has such great influence (AFAICT) on fields such as cognitive science/psychology, philosophy of mind, etc., including being a major influence for folks like Fodor and Pinker.

With this understanding in hand, I think it will be easier to understand why his research programme was not centred around studying this or that real world language and analysing it. This also addresses, I think, Miles' "snarky" question.

--ravi