[lbo-talk] munchers

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Wed Jun 10 07:57:57 PDT 2009

Michael Smith wrote:

> What was novel about Chomsky's project was the attempt to
> gain a better understanding of whatever it is in our heads
> that enables us to speak in the first place.

Could you unpack this a little bit? It doesn't seem to refer to "heads" in the physical sense; that would make it a neurocognitive research question, not a linguistics question. It obviously doesn't refer to the social structures that must exist for any language to be used and passed from generation to generation; although those structures are fundamental to the actual existence of language, they exist "outside" our heads.

So--what is "in our heads" that enables us to speak?

Miles