[lbo-talk] ethical ?

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at aapt.net.au
Wed Jun 10 20:06:04 PDT 2009

At 9:18 AM -0700 10/6/09, martin wrote:

>Since Scott Roeder (Dr Tiller murder) claims to know that there are
>many other similar events planned for other abortion providers
>around the country, should water boarding be allowed to extract
>further information?

It has been established beyond reasonable doubt that torture doesn't work as a method of gaining useful intelligence. However water-boarding would be an quick and easy way of encouraging those advocating violence against abortionists to recant.

But as I have explained, it is not necessary for them to recant, it is much better for them to be effectively silenced in the first place. Let them think what they like, so long as they understand that anyone who advocates their sinister message will be imprisoned and blacklisted from responsible employment for life, anyone who publishes or broadcasts their message will be imprisoned and have all their assets confiscated and any corporation involved will be broken up and its assets seized and distributed to the intended victims.

So there is no ethical dilemma. Water-boarding would serve no useful purpose, it is just gratuitous cruelty. Those who advocate such torture, or even simply make excuses for it, should be subject to all the penalties I have outlined for incitement.

And will be, as soon as I rule the world!

Frankly Martin, I have to say that you are dangerously close to the line, with your suggestion that torture is a viable (if unethically questionable) of intelligence gathering. A falsehood equally offensive as implying that non-white races are genetically inferior.

It might be time for Doug to ban such false and sinister speech from the list? This would make it unnecessary for me to go to the bother of trying to rule the world. You probably don't want that. Since I have other plans (like banning mobile phones and Ipods) which might be a little unpopular with some here. So don't force me to do it people. ;-)

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas