[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Wed Jun 10 21:16:25 PDT 2009

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 23:43:51 -0400 SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Miles Jackson wrote:
>
> > I have to say that's my initial reaction to Michael S's precis about
> > "what's in the head that enables us to speak". What's fundamental to
> > the development of language is its role in social relations, not
> > what's in our heads. My fondness for late Wittgenstein is definitely
> > showing here!

Sure. But people have certain physical limitations. We only have two arms, for example.

If we're materialists, we have to assume -- don't we? -- that language has some physical basis in the heads and/or bodies of the people who do language. Is it so far-fetched to think that whatever that basis is, it might constrain our linguistic capacity?

--

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net http://stopmebeforeivoteagain.org