[lbo-talk] LAT: The main Guantanamo release prob: lack of support and rehab

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jun 11 08:16:43 PDT 2009

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-oe-fletcher11-2009jun11,0,3628694.story

June 11, 2009

The Los Angeles Times

Opinion

Guantanamo haunts released detainees

Released without support or resources, these often shunned, destitute

and depressed men make easy recruits for radicals.

By Laurel Fletcher and Eric Stover

A recent report from the Pentagon found that 74 of the 534 men freed

from the Guantanamo Bay detention facility were "confirmed or suspected

of re-engaging in terrorist activities."

That may be a high number -- other studies have found that only about

4% of the detainees have returned to terrorism after their release. But

any recidivism raises a crucial question: Are the United States and its

allies doing enough to prevent released detainees from "returning to

the battlefield"?

President Obama has said he will close the Guantanamo prison by January

2010, and it appears likely that a substantial number of the

approximately 240 detainees who remain there will be sent home or

relocated to third countries. If the past is any indication, these men

are likely to have trouble building new lives.

Last year, we interviewed 62 released Guantanamo detainees from nine

countries in Europe, the Middle East and Southern Asia. We found that

although many harbored negative feelings toward the U.S. government,

most simply wanted to reintegrate into their families and communities.

But they found it difficult to do so.

Nearly all suffered from what we call the "Guantanamo stigma," a

presumption in their communities that they were dangerous men, even

though the U.S. had never convicted them of a crime. Only six of the 62

had been able to find permanent jobs. Many had lost property, and their

families had been driven into debt during their absence.

One released detainee, a highly educated businessman whose family had

lived in Europe while he was in captivity, said his children found it

complicated to explain why their father was in Guantanamo, so they

simply told people he was in jail. "You can't express to a child that

there is something in this world called 'detention without trial,'

where the rule of law doesn't exist," he said, noting that children

assume that "if you're in jail, you must be bad, because that's what

society does to bad people."

Other former detainees reported that they were rejected by their

families or were shunned and unable to find wives. The wife of a man

from the Middle East left him while he was in Guantanamo and returned

to live with her family. Now, he said, "I have a plastic bag that I

carry with me all the time. I sleep every night in a different mosque."

A detainee from Europe, a shop owner before his detention, returned

home to learn that his father had been murdered weeks before and that

his estranged wife had taken their children to another part of the

country. No one would hire him or lend him money to open a business. "I

was living in hell in Guantanamo. And when I returned home, it was

another hell," he said.

Yet another man, a highly educated Afghan professional and community

leader who, while in Guantanamo, taught many of his countrymen to read

and write, expressed frustration that his time in the camp indelibly

marred his reputation and career. He returned home to find that his

office had been ransacked and shuttered. He is demoralized and

withdrawn, and he says he no longer feels able to take an active role

in his community.

Two-thirds of the former detainees we interviewed reported

psychological problems stemming from their confinement. Memories of

being short-shackled in stress positions, subjected to extreme

temperatures and exposed to violence by guards remained vivid for many.

Others complained of memory loss, depression and nightmares. "I think

I'm still back there, with chains and guards swearing at me," said one

man.

A man from Europe in his mid-20s said that after being released, he

experienced flashbacks to Guantanamo and found it difficult to trust

his wife and parents. "I went to see a psychiatrist who told me I was

suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder," he said. "But it was

expensive. He charged me around $150. After that, I simply couldn't

afford more visits."

Released detainees told us what they wanted most was the opportunity to

put Guantanamo behind them and get on with their lives. Yet 45 of the

62 former detainees said they received no significant support from

their governments or private charities to help them start anew. "I lost

everything as a result of being detained in Guantanamo. I've lost my

property. I've lost my job. I've lost my will," said one Afghan

detainee, a former medical professional who claims he was sent to

Guantanamo because a rival tribe falsely denounced him to the

Americans.

The reports are alarming. Without social and psychological support,

former detainees often find themselves destitute, which puts them at

risk of drifting to radical mosques where, in addition to receiving

food and a place to sleep, they listen to anti-American diatribes.

As the U.S. prepares to close Guantanamo, it also needs to plan for

post-release services to help detainees reintegrate into their

communities. U.S.-supported programs should provide former detainees

with job training and psychological support and help them secure stable

employment. Such programs are very much in our interest. By helping to

re-anchor released detainees in their communities, we will reduce the

risk of terrorist attacks against the United States.

Laurel Fletcher is a clinical professor of law at UC Berkeley School of

Law, and Eric Stover is an adjunct professor of law and public health

at UC Berkeley. Their book, "The Guantanamo Effect: Exposing the

Consequences of U.S. Detention and Interrogation Practices," is due out

in September.