[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jun 11 11:38:42 PDT 2009

My understanding is that an important part of Chomsky's work was the hypothesis of the "autonomy of syntax", that it makes sense to study the syntactic properties of language without regard for those other issues. Not denying the existence or importance of those issues, just saying that syntax could also be examined without taking them into account. Sandy Harris

---------

I haven't read anything of Chompsky's, except his politic essays now and then, so I can comment on syntax or his analysis of lanugage.

Sure it makes sense to study language through linguistically derived concepts. It sounds like that's what linguistics does---independent of other areas of study.

But I take it that Kenneally wants to step out of that box and start looking at language differntly. So there is a dilemma. How much of say the background of anthropological study of language does a linguist want to incorporate? Psychology is another field that has a similar dilemma. They have their theories of learning and development, derived from their own kind of empirical work. They were forced early on to start dealing with the brain as a biological entity and there is a kind of dissonance between say psychology and psychiatry...

CG