[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:30:41 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:03:21 -0400
> ravi <ravi at platosbeard.org> wrote:
>
> > Wait, that's not true, is it? Chomsky's UG is not the English grammar
> > we know and hate, but a more abstract one which will probably be
> > satisfied by literal transcripts, etc. No?
>
> And what kids hear is a mishmash. People don't finish their
> sentences. They forget what the subject was. They get lost in a
> subordinate clause and never climb out. How does the kid distinguish
> the badly-formed utterances from the well-formed ones?
>
> It's a bit like the deconvolution algorithm for sharpening
> a blurry image. It works quite well *if* you have some information
> about the way the image was created in the first place. The UG postulate
> is that necessary information information about how the image
> was created. (This is my analogy not Chomsky's.)

Isn't the fundamental assumption here that kids learn to speak in grammatically correct sentences? Half of the college students I've taught at Research I and II universities - and more at the second tier small college I taught at, don't speak or write in grammatically correct sentences... is this a problem for the theory? Or is it enough that short, declarative sentences that express generally pretty simplistic thoughts are grammatical? Obviously, I don't know enough about this... and the little I am learning bugs me.