[lbo-talk] Kenneally, some notes and background

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jun 12 19:23:15 PDT 2009

It seems to me that both Michael and Miles are, in part, battling over alternative slippery slopes. And I tend to believe that Miles's slippery slope is, on the whole, the more dangerous. His position is the core of a theoretical rejection of Bell-Curve viciousness, evolutionary psychology, rational choice individualism, Magg Thatcher's "society does not exist, only individuals," and so forth. Now, I'm not sure of this, but doesn't Miles's argument _also_ tend to oppose Gould's insistence on the reality of species. Gould has a vigorous defense of "essence" in the first chapter of SET -- aimed in particular against Dawkins's tendency to see species as a smear, with no clear demarcations.

I think somehow Michael and Miles ought to be able to work towards a shared formulation of wht they are trying to say.

Incidentally, not only is it impossible to "prove" the evolution of language; it is impossible to define what that phrase could conceivably mean.

Carrol