[lbo-talk] Juan Cole: preliminary reactions to the Iranian vote totals

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 04:49:18 PDT 2009

Bhaskar Sunkara wrote

> Also I think this ?win? is an excellent thing for Israel, Egypt and the
> other US-backed forces in the region. An election of a moderate would?ve
> allowed Obama to engage with Iran more, maybe deferred their nuclear
> ambitions and thus comparatively weaken the power of US-backed client
> regimes in the Middle-East.

Certainly, that is what this Haaretz columnist thought:

ANALYSIS / Ahmadinejad win actually preferable for Israel http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1092587.html

"in this case, paradoxically, it seems that from Israel's point of view the victory of incumbent President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is actually preferable. Not only because "better the devil you know," but because the victory of the pro-reform candidate will paste an attractive mask on the face of Iranian nuclear ambitions. "